Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Failure of the state of NJ to prosecute stalking - January 2011

Dear Governor Christie and Lt Governor Guadagno,

NJ passed a stalking law in March of 2009 written by the Detective assigned to my case incorporating third party stalking and elevating the level of the crime.  The law is not being upheld .  When the stalking escalated in the summer of 2009 and I began to receive voicemail death threats, the Monmouth County Prosecutors office declined the case because I had not been physically harmed.  I reached out to Lynn Rosenthal at the White House Office on Violence Against Women.  The US attorney took control of my case and in 6 weeks the FBI identified the third party stalker who was using a throw away cell phone.  The man admitted stalking and threatening me to Marlboro Sgt Yenisey and FBI Agent RJ Gallagher and then he lawyered up.   The man committed suicide on Jan 4, 2010 to avoid facing federal prosecution. 

The stalking didn't end with his death.  Three weeks after Crime Victim Compensation paid for me to relocate and 3 years after I stopped receiving calls from Spanish speaking men, they began again.  I filed  the most recent police report on New Years Day and i just received another call from the same number calling me in October.   My pleas for help to Attorney General Dow have gone unanswered. 

The third party stalker apprehended by the FBI was calling me 4 hours before my flights to and from Miami in June of 2009.  My itinerary was displayed on my American Express card statement.  The third party stalker gave my American Express Card to a man in NYC who began to use the card to order food and deliver it to his apartment.  American Express found 5 IP addresses accessing my online account.  The Monmouth County Prosecutors office sent detectives into NYC in Sept of 2009 to question the man using my credit card but they failed to follow up until months later after Joe's suicide.   The man fraudulently using my Amex card lived 5 doors down from the 5th Precinct in NYC.  Now the Manhattan DA is trying to prosecute a case that belongs in NJ and a case that has gone ignored for over a decade.

The Justice Department gave NJ $3.6 million dollars in 2009 to fight Violence Against Women. What happened to the money?

Sincerely,
Karen Welch

C: Vice President Joseph Biden
      Lynn Rosenthal, Director of the White House Office on Violence Against Women
      Susan Carbon, Director of the Violence Against Women Office at the Justice Department

No comments: